I’m Not Running Any Race With Wizkid – Davido (+ Hidden thing you never About Omo Baba Olowo)


In this interview with Tribune, the singer shares the story behind his success and plans for the future.
Question : At 21 years old, you have been able to put your name and songs on the lips of many and also earned yourself mouth watering endorsement deals. How do you feel?
Answer: I didn’t know you would arrive at this question. But let me just say that God has been good to me and I am always thankful for that grace. It has been magnanimous than what I could ever imagine in my life. I feel good right now. I feel very great as well. Nobody else could have made this happen in my life time but God. I also thank my fans out for the massive love and encouragement that they have shown me since the first day I released my first single, Ema Damiduro”, when my name was heard. I don’t think I know how to explain the joy. In fact, let me say I dare not attempt to explain it because the truth is that right now, the only thing I need to say is to say thank you all. Everything is just working out well for me right now and I am very thankful to them and my crew for their support over the years.
Question: Did you expect Aye would be such a massive hit?
Answer: I only knew it was a nice song and that people would love it, but I never expected that it would be such a massive hit. I am still surprised that the song has gone that far. It shows that Nigerians know good music and they appreciate beautiful songs when they hear one.
Question: It is believed that you don’t write your songs but that you buy them from others. How true is this?
Answer: I write my songs myself. I have never bought songs from anyone since I started out. I don’t buy songs. The inspiration I get to write my songs comes from God. Like I said, when God is working for you, you don’t ask Him how He does his things.
Question: Many are saying that because you don’t appear like someone who could compose the kind of songs you have released in the past two years.
Answer: How do you know those people who can compose beautiful songs? Huh? What do they look like sir? You know people are funny. When they don’t understand you, they come up with stories, with hypothesis. My look has nothing to do with the songs I am capable of writing or singing. God gave me this talent, but it would not have taken me this far if I had not worked hard on it every day and night. For the purpose of setting the records straight, I write my songs myself.
Question: Are you thinking of settling down now?
Answer: Nah! Not once has the thought crossed my mind. I am not thinking about that just yet my brothers. Settle down? Now? No, no, not now. I am enjoying music right now. Forget about woman for now, ask me about music.
Question: But you have money. That should motivate you enough to get married.
Answer: Money is not everything in life. I don’t even think about money. Money is good and it helps you to handle certain things, but money will not get you a good woman, neither can it buy you happiness. I am happy right now loving what I do best; music. If you are going to get a God-fearing woman, you shouldn’t even think about convincing her with money.
Question: What exactly does music mean to you?
Answer: Music is very emotional to me and I care so much about it. It is one thing that I put in my head and my mind every day. I had said to myself before now that it was going to be music or nothing else. I have been working hard over the years, but many people don’t know what Davido has gone through before hitting the limelight. As far as I know, I sleep and wake up with music in my head. Music runs in my vein like blood. Sometimes I ask myself, don’t I need to slow down a bit? But I just want to keep pushing out good songs to the people every time. I want them to know that Davido is here for them anytime.